We’re fast approaching hurricane season! Check out these tips for hurricane preparation, tips on how to file claims after the storm, and how to set an evacuation route for your family!
1- ) Hurricane Preparation: Before The Storm Hits:
- Have a home inventory completed and saved in a safe place. This may contain pictures, listed items, appraisals of high-value items, a video walk-through of the home, etc. This will aid in the claims process.
- Ensure that all valuable documents such as birth certificates, passports, insurance policy details, etc. are stored in a safe place that can be transported if you need to leave.
- Make sure that limbs are trimmed away from the property. Tie down or store all outdoor furniture, park your auto inside a garage or away from trees if a shelter is not available.
- Consider covering large windows. Make sure that all windows are secure.
- Make sure that all electronics are turned off and unplugged. Power surges can damage electronics.
2- ) Hurricane Recovery: Insurance & Claims: What Should You Do First?
- Safety is always first. If you notice any significant structural damages, do not enter the home. Call the local authorities to check the home’s structure before you enter.
- Take pictures or video of any damages as soon as possible.
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent further damage:
- Cover holes in the roof with plywood or a tarp.
- Cover damaged windows so further damage doesn’t occur.
- Always keep any receipts for items purchased to prevent damage before the storm or for materials used to prevent further damage after the storm.
- If there is obvious property damage, turn off the water and/or electricity to the property until you can determine the extent of the damage.
*Important note: Insurance companies are typically more than happy to reimburse all reasonable expenses that were incurred to either prevent damage before the storm or prevent further damage from occurring after the storm.
3- ) Hurricane Recovery: How to File a Claim:
- Report your claim as soon as possible.
- Call your insurance company and have your name and policy number available. Report the type of claim and a description of any of the damages that you have witnessed to the property. Also remember to mention any steps you’ve taken to prevent further damage.
- Once your claim is reported, a claims adjuster will be coming out to assess the damage. Depending on the size of the storm and damage caused, this may take 1-7 days. This is where preventative steps are important.
- Always feel free to call in and ask for updates on the claims process. Nationwide also offers an online tracking method so you can track the claim’s process.
Have more questions? Call The Braun Agency Team today at 757-452-4563! We’re happy to help! The Braun Agency. We’re on YOUR side.
The Braun Agency’s mission is to help you get from where you are to where you want to be financially by planning, achieving your plan and protecting your plan from unexpected events. In the process, our goal is to deliver insurance services in a manner that exceeds your expectations. See what The Braun Agency can do for you today. Give us a call at 757-452-4563 to speak with one of the licensed, professional members of our team or request a contact here. The Braun Agency. We’re on YOUR side. 757-INSURANCE.